Skip to content

Short circuit – causes and prevention

Short-circuit---causes-and-prevention

What is short circuit?

A short circuit is a dangerous situation that occurs when the flow of electricity is interrupted by some object. This usually happens when there is a damaged or broken part in the electric circuit, but there are also other reasons why this may occur. It will instantly cause an electrical fire and could result in serious injury or death if it’s not detected quickly enough.

Short circuit is an electrical fault that occurs when the current flows to a path other than the intended one.
It can cause fire, explosion and electric shock. It also damages electrical equipment like motors and appliances. 

     ★  The most common causes are:

● Faulty wiring in your home (e.g., loose wires).
●Improper connections between items such as extension cords or power strips.

Types of short circuit

If you are not careful, short circuit can cause fire, damage to the device and even death. It is important to know what type causes this situation so that you can prevent it from happening in your life.
There are three types:

●Open circuit: this happens when there is no current flow between two points (or wires). For example, if one wire has been disconnected from another wire; both wires will be opening circuited together because they do not have any connection at all with each other anymore.

●Short circuit: this happens when there is no resistance in between two points (or wires); therefore, current flows freely through without being blocked off by resistance due to lack of insulation between them, and that’s why PCB impedance control so important.

●Reverse current: a reversed polarity causes an increase in voltage or decrease in voltage (depending on which direction it flows), which can cause damage to your device’s components if left unchecked for too long.

What factors may cause short circuit?

You may have heard of short circuit. But what exactly is it? It is when a current travels from one conductor to another, bypassing any conductors in between. This can happen when your wiring is unbalanced or defective and the energy travels through one wire and not another. In most cases, this will only cause minor damage to your appliance or electronics. The most common causes are:

● An unbalanced load (excessively high power draw) on an appliance or device plugged into an outlet that isn’t designed for such heavy use.

●A worn out wire within equipment providing power (commonly seen in older homes).

●Loose screws/bolts connecting wires together inside equipment providing power (commonly seen in older places)

loose-screws

The consequences of short circuit

A short circuit is when a piece of equipment or wire comes into contact with another piece of equipment, and electricity passes between them. The result can be anything from minor damage to complete destruction of both pieces of equipment. If you’re unfamiliar with this concept, let me explain:

● You might have heard about someone accidentally touching a power outlet or other metal object in the home . This would lead to an electrical shock because there was no insulation between the two objects.

● Another example would be if you were using a tool that has two different parts connected by wires—one part being used for cutting/drilling holes into something else while the other part does its job without any issues whatsoever (like turning on your drill). If these two pieces are not properly insulated from each other due to poor design or construction techniques used during manufacturing processes (or even just poor maintenance), then they could come into contact with each other through any number of ways: clamps breaking off over time due to wear & tear; improper tightening specs causing excessive friction against surfaces within reach during use; etc.

How to prevent short circuit?

To prevent a short circuit, use a fuse. A fuse is an electrical device that will interrupt current flow if the voltage exceeds its rating. Fuses can be purchased at hardware stores or online and are cheap to replace when they burn out.

To make sure you don’t accidentally create it, use a short circuit protector (SPST). This type of switch has two terminals on it: one for power and another for ground. When you turn on your lamp or appliance, this switch turns off its power supply (that’s why it’s called “SPST”). If there’s no power going into your device from somewhere else in your house—like from another switch—you won’t have any problem whatsoever!

How to fix short circuit?

To fix it, you will need to know how to use the right tools. You can’t just pick up your wrench and start tightening screws!

You have to be careful when fixing. However, damage can be dangerous if not done correctly. It’s important that you understand the basics of what circuits are and how they work so that you don’t get hurt while working on them.

The different use between short circuit and open circuit

In the context of electricity, an open circuit is a circuit that is not connected to the power source. On the other hand, short circuit is a circuit that’s connected to the power source and has been damaged due to some reason.
Open circuits are major reasons for fire because they cause electric current flow into something else when there is no resistance in between them (without any protection device). 

A short circuit can also cause damage and fires if it’s not properly handled by professionals so make sure you know how they work before attempting one yourself!

Conclusion

Short circuit is a dangerous situation. It can cause fire, electric shock and damage to the equipment or people. It can also lead to injury, inconvenience and property loss. The best way to avoid is by following these steps:

● Always use high-quality tools when working with electricity or other types of dangerous materials; this will help you avoid accidents from happening in the first place.

● Make sure that all your tools are well maintained at all times; if there’s any damage on them then replace them immediately before something else happens (like an accident).

As we know, it is a dangerous situation. Therefore, it’s important to know how to prevent it and fix it if you’ve experienced one. But most importantly, we should always be careful when using electricity at home or in public places like restaurants or libraries.

If you need any PCB or PCBA related products or services, just contact us, we will sincerely heip you solve all problems and get your PCB design.

Share:

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn

Product Categories

Most Popular

Contact Us

IBE News

Related Posts

Industries

INDUSTRIES WE SERVE Click on each industry to learn more about how we make custom printed circuit board solutions for each market.Our industries served include

Read More »